Last update: 10/09/2012.
I have just renewed my card / certificates and it does not work.
All Classic Client versions on Microsoft Operating Systems
When you renew your certificates your old certificates can still be present on the computer. Some applications can mix up old and new certificates which would lead to different errors: certificates expired, cannot find valid certificates, your card is not valid...
You can solve this issue by cleaning the Certificate Store on your computer:
Open the certificate manager
- Click Start and type certmgr.msc on Windows 7 and Vista.
- Click Start, click Run and type certmgr.msc on Windows XP.
Find your old certificates and delete them
- Insert your old card in the smart card reader and open the Classic Client Toolbox
- Click on Certificates in the Card Contents tab
- Note the certificates present in your card
- In the Certificate Manger delete your personal certificates from the Personal folder
- If it still does not work delete root and intermediate certificates from Trusted Root Certification Authorities and Intermediate Certification Authority folders
If you are not sure about which certificate to delete you can check the certificates serial numbers. Double-Click on the certificate in the Classic Client Toolbox, the Serial Number is shown in the Details tab.
Find the certificate with a matching Serial Number in the Certificate Manager and delete it.
Modifications to the operating system can lead to unrecoverable errors. Modifications are reserved to advanced users. If you do not feel confident we recommend creating a System Restore Point before performing changes.